Tuesday, January 6, 2015

On Nonsense, Writing, and Afternoon Tea

         "A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men." -Roald Dahl
I love nonsense. Not the crude, vulgar, nonsense that is the norm today. I love good old-fashioned childish nonsense. As I write this, I am watching Tim Burton's "Alice in Wonderland" for the gazillionth time. It is one of my absolute favorites. While it bears very few similarities to the book, it is, nonetheless, a gloriously nonsensical work of art. I admire Mr. Burton's creativity and vision very much. Creativity inspires creativity. And so, I write. 
          On any given day, at precisely 2:00 p.m., you will find me with three things in my hands....a
          lovely cup of tea, a writing utensil of some sort, and a notebook. There will either be "classical"
          music, or one of my favorite movies playing softly. There will also be two spoiled Dachshunds      
          in my lap, waiting for their fair share of my teatime treats. As I sip my tea, I write. My journals
          (I have 36 completed journals at last count) contain everything from scripture study (there's
          quite a lot of scripture study in each one) to grocery lists, and recipes I've created, movie and
          book reviews, what I made for dinner, soap labels, tea bag packets, candy wrappers.....there's
          no telling what you will find. I, myself, am often surprised when I look back through them.
          You will find some serious stuff, such as daily notes as to the weather, as well as the precise
          times of the sunrise, sunset, and what  phase the moon happens to be in. I'm such a nerd, but it
          is pretty awesome to look through those old journals, and reminisce. One thing I've noticed, as    
          I look through those old journals, is that each day has a "theme"

         When I wake up each morning, there is a "theme for the day" in my head. Not exactly
         sure as to why, but it makes for an interesting life! (there's that nonsense stuff again!) I'm quite
         happy with it. Who wants to be normal anyways? So, for today, it's all about  curiouser &
         curiouser, Alice, Mad Hatters, and tea. And, in case you were wondering just how a raven is
         like a writing desk, it's because they both have inky quills. You're welcome.    


         Fairfarren, All

1 comment:

  1. Still trying to figure this blogging thing out. Please excuse the messiness....I'll try to fix it as soon as possible.

    ReplyDelete